Step By Step Instructions:
Strawberry, Cheddar, Sharp Provolone, Balsamic Glazed Red Onions, Almond, & Mint Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
This recipe is dedicated to The Produce Box. I started using and ordering ingredients from this glorious website about a year ago, and haven’t ever looked back. The farmers are amazing, and the whole organization is helpful, generous, and detail oriented.
My delivery day is Wednesday and my meal planning revolves around what I’m going to get in my Produce Box each week. The best part about this site is that it’s growing and it’s not just produce anymore! You can shop for Produce, Herbs, Dairy Products, Meats, Snacks, Pastas, and Condiments!
This particular recipe came in the Box I got the first week in April, and I only made a couple of adjustments, and it is phenomenal! The Sharp Provolone Cheese I added to the recipe came from a shop in Pittsburgh, Stamoolis, that I picked up when I was there visiting my brand new baby nephew! (Hey Oskar, Aunt Gilly loves you!!)
To Make the Balsamic Glazed Red Onions:
1. Heat EVOO in a small saute pan over medium heat, then add in your sliced red onions, coating the onions with the oil, sprinkle with a dash of salt, and cover with the lid
2. Set timer for 15 minutes, and stir occasionally. Be careful not to burn yourself when you remove the lid after 15 min, there will be a lot of water and moisture in there
3. Once lid is removed, spray the onions with the balsamic vinegar. If you don’t have a spray no worries, just put about 1 or 2 T into the pan and mix well
4. Sprinkle with a dash of salt and put on med/low for another 15 min
5. Remove from heat once they are wilted and a little browned, set aside
To Make Strawberry Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:
6. Place a large saute pan on the stove over medium heat, then place your 4 pieces of bread on top of a clean, flat surface
7. Spread mayo on 2 pieces of bread (1 piece for each sandwich)
8. Place your Cheddar cheese on top of the slices with mayo, 4 each, then place the strawberries on top of the cheddar, add on the sliced almonds, balsamic onions, provolone, 3 slices each, sprinkle of mint, and then add your top slice of bread
9. Using a butter knife, spread butter on just the tops of each piece of bread
10. Carefully pick up the sandwich, and place in the pan BUTTER side down (Do not butter the other sides yet)
11. Place your brick on top of the sandwiches, and then sprinkle a little water in the pan (this will help to melt the cheeses)
12. Remove brick after about 4 or 5 minutes, grab your butter knife and butter up the top slices of bread, and using a spatula carefully flip the sandwiches onto the other side, and place the brick on top again
13. Remove brick after about 4 minutes and set aside. Check the crispiness of your bread, and if it’s to your liking, remove the sandwiches from the heat. Continue to cook if you like them a little more crispy!
I love seeing your creations in the kitchen! Make sure to tag #ColdBeerMeatSweats after making these delicious Strawberry Grilled Cheese Sandwiches 🙂
I served my sandwiches with Yellow and Red Tomato Salad w/ Roasted Red Peppers, Feta, and Mint! For that recipe click here, Tomato Salad
Don’t need step by step instructions?
Here is what you do:
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 1.5 T EVOO
- Dash Salt
- 1 or 2 T Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 Slices Whole Grain Wheat Bread
- 4 T Butter
- Mayo To Taste, Optional
- 4 Small Slices Cheddar Cheese
- 3 Small Slices Sharp Provolone
- 5 Sliced Strawberries, Stems Removed
- Almonds, Sliced, To Taste
- 1/2 Cup Balsamic Glazed Onions
- Fresh Mint, Chopped, To Taste
1. Place a small saute pan over medium heat, add EVOO, once warm, add your sliced red onions and sprinkle with a dash of salt, and mix well
2. Cover onions with a lid, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
3. Remove lid, add in balsamic vinegar, dash of salt, mix well, and cook 15 more minutes, stirring until wilted and a little brown. Remove from heat when finished
4. Place 4 pieces of bread on a flat surface, spread mayo on 2 slices
5. Top the mayo slices with cheddar cheese, strawberries, sliced almonds, balsamic glazed onions, sharp provolone, and a sprinkle of mint
6. Put the top slice of bread on, and spread butter on those 2 top slices
7. Place a large saute pan over medium heat, once hot, add the sandwiches butter side down, (do not butter the other sides of the bread yet), and top them with your foil lined brick
8. Sprinkle a tiny bit of water in the pan, it will make a little sizzle, and this will help to melt the cheese!
9. Remove the brick after about 4 or 5 minutes, spread butter on the tops of the bread and very carefully using a spatula, flip the sandwiches over to the other side
10. Place the brick back on top of the sandwiches for another 4 minutes, remove the brick, and if they’re crispy to your liking, remove them from the heat and enjoy!
11. I like to slice my sandwiches in half, but to each his own!
Remember: I love seeing your creations in the kitchen! Make sure to tag #ColdBeerMeatSweats after making these delicious Strawberry Grilled Cheese Sandwiches 🙂
I served my sandwiches with Red and Yellow Tomato Salad w/ Roasted Red Peppers, Feta, and Mint! For that recipe click here, Tomato Salad
*Inspired by a recipe I got from the Produce Box 🙂