Step By Step Instructions:
This is one of the best sauces on the planet, seriously! I first found this recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks, “The Dean & DeLuca Cookbook”, and after the very first time I made it, I knew I was never going to use another Bolognese recipe ever again. It’s THAT good!
To Make Sauce Bolognese:
1. Chop all over your veggies, and measure and gather all ingredients
2. Heat oil over medium in a deep dish dutch oven pot
3. Add diced onions to the pot, stir to coat all onions in oil, and cover with a lid. Set a timer for 20 minutes, and stir onions occasionally.
4. Once onions are slightly gold in color, and wilted, remove the lid and continue to cook for another 15 minutes
5. Watch carefully so the onions do not burn, and stir frequently.
6. Add the diced carrots and celery, and use a wooden spoon to mix together and scrape the bottom and sides of the pot, then add the salt and pepper and continue to stir for about 5 minutes
7. Add the ground beef/chuck, veal, and pork to the pot with the veggies and crumble with the wooden spoon, and cook until meat is no longer pink
8. After the meat has browned, add in your minced chicken livers, and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes
9. To the pot add the tomato sauce, 1 cup of the beef stock, and the white wine, and stir well
10. Place the heat on low and simmer uncovered for 1.5 hours (Sauce should barely bubble, stir occasionally)
11. After the first 1.5 hours have passed, add in the rest of the beef stock, a dash of nutmeg, and simmer for another 1.5 hours (Sauce should barely bubble, stir occasionally)
This sauce is going to be a thick and meaty sauce, and is perfect for Bolognese Lasagna! It’s actually perfect with any pasta because it is that friggin tasty! But, if you’re in the mood for lasagna, which, who isn’t?! Make this recipe!
Don’t need step by step instructions?
Here is what you do:
- 1/4 Cup EVOO
- 1 1/2 Cups Minced Yellow Onion
- 2/3 Cup Diced Celery
- 2/3 Cup Diced Carrots
- 2 t Kosher Salt
- 1 t Ground Pepper
- 1 lb Ground Beef/Chuck
- 1/2 lb Ground Veal
- 1/2 lb Ground Pork
- 1/4 lb Minced Chicken Livers
- 2, 24 oz Jars Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1 3/4 Cup Beef Stock
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- Ground Nutmeg (To Taste)
Set burner to med-high heat, place a dutch oven or deep pot on the burner
1. Pour EVOO in the pan, once hot, add in the diced yellow onions
2. Stir onions, cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes. Remove lid, stir, and let onions cook until caramelized, for another 15 minutes (Don’t burn or brown)
3. Add the diced celery and carrots to the same pot along with, some salt and pepper, and scrape the sides and bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon, and mix well
4. Using your hands, add in the ground beef, veal, and pork, turn the heat up, and cook meat until no longer pink. When the meat has fully cooked, mix in the minced chicken livers
5. Add the tomato sauce, and 1 cup of beef stock and white wine. Stir well, and simmer on low for 1.5 hours, uncovered
6. After the first 1.5 hours, add in the rest of the beef stock and a dash of nutmeg, stir occasionally, and let simmer for another 1.5 hours, uncovered
7. Taste your sauce, adjust spices/seasonings accordingly, and serve over your choice of pasta!
Remember: I love seeing your creations in the kitchen! Make sure to tag #ColdBeerMeatSweats after making this bolognese sauce 🙂
Adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks on Earth, Dean & DeLuca