Step By Step Instructions:
Cheddar Jalapeno Salsa Vaerde & Crispy Kale Turkey Burgers, w/ Broccoli Tots
When you’re trying really, really, really hard to eat healthy but, you’re really, really, really craving a GIGANTIC burger and tater tots, this recipe will not only leave you satisfied, it will also leave you with half the calories and guilt 🙂 #NewYearsResolutionToBetterEating
Let’s pickle some cabbage! I pickled the cabbage about 24 hours in advance but, as long as you let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour, you should be fine to use it as a topping. Set your oven to 400.
To Make Pickled Purple Cabbage:
1. Take 1/2 of a small head of purple (red) cabbage, and using a very sharp knife, core and shred cabbage, making the thinnest slices possible (Can also use a mandolin)
2. In a bowl combine 1 C red wine vinegar, 1 C water, 1 T sugar, 1 t sea salt, and whisk until sugar and salt dissolve. Stir in 1 minced garlic clove, & a pinch of black pepper
3. Add cabbage to the bowl and let sit on counter for a few hours, covered. (If in a hurry, place covered in fridge for 1 hour before using.)
To Make Broccoli Tots:
1. Place a pot on the stove with salted water and bring to a boil, add 2 cups broccoli, (fresh or frozen), boil for 1 minute, then turn off the burner. Drain immediately. Run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
2. Using a food processor combine the 2 cups blanched then chopped broccoli, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, 1 large egg, dash of salt & pepper, 5T each of panko and Italian breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup diced onions, & sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley, pulse until all ingredients have been mixed well. (You can also chop the broccoli into the smallest possible pieces, and mix all ingredients in a bowl if you don’t have access to a processor.)
3. Using a small spoon or ice cream scoop, place small amount in your hands, and 1 by 1, begin to make the shape of a tater tot
4. I place the scoop of broccoli mixture into the middle of my palm, pretend to form a meatball, then smoosh the ends to get more of an oval shape
5. Do this until all the mixture is gone, and your foil lined baking sheet is full of tots!
6.Place the baking sheet in the fridge to cool the tots before putting in the oven
To Make Jalapeno Turkey Burger Patties:
1. Place the 1lb of ground turkey in a bowl
2. Remove the seeds and stem from the jalapeno, and dice it into small pieces
3. In that same bowl add: 1/2 T each dried parsley & oregano, 1/2 t smoked paprika, 1 or 2 T worcestershire sauce, 1 egg, 1/4 cup jarlsberg, 1/4 cup salsa verde, 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs (optional), diced jalapeno, dash of salt, dash of red pepper flakes (optional), and fresh ground pepper.
4. Mix well with your hands and form 1 large ball in the bottom of a bowl, cover and place in the fridge
5. When ready to grill, pull turkey mixture out of the fridge and form 4 patties
To Make Crispy Kale:
1. Take fresh kale leaves and remove the stem in the middle
2. Fill a medium sized bowl with fresh leaves
3. Toss with 1 T EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), a pinch of salt, and pepper
4. Place on a foil lined baking sheet, spreading out so they don’t touch each other or overlap, and place in oven for 5 minutes, remove and flip all the pieces, and place back in the oven for 5 more minutes, or until desired crispiness has been reached!
5. Remove from oven, place on plate, and set aside until the burgers are done
To Make Turkey Burgers & Broccoli Tots:
1. Grab a large grill pan (Could also use a saute pan, flat top indoor grilling surface, or an actual outdoor grill.) Place on a large burner and add 1 T EVOO.
2. Remove the sheet pan of broccoli tots, and plate of patties from the fridge
3. Place the tots in the oven and set timer for 15 minutes
4. Turn the burner onto medium/medium high
5. Once the oil is hot, and you’ve spread it all over the pan, gently place all 4 burgers in the pan
6. While the burgers are cooking, chop/slice/dice all of your toppings
7. When the timer for the tots goes off, remove the pan, flip all of the tots, and place back in over for another 10-15 minutes
8. Flip the burgers patties, and very very gently press down on the top of each one, only once per pattie
9. Grab a lid and cover the patties (I learned from Martha Stewart that if you cook turkey burgers with a lid on them, it cooks the inside faster, and allows for less moisture to be released, creating a more juicy turkey burger! No one likes a dry burger!)
10. When the tots look nice and crispy remove them from the oven
11. Once both sides of the burger are cooked, remove the lid, flip one more time, and add 1 slice of cheddar cheese to each burger, then squirt a tiny bit of water into the pan, and put the lid back on! This will help to melt the cheese faster 🙂
12. Once the cheese has started to melt, place the buns in the oven on a sheet pan, or straight on the rack, your choice, and get them nice and toasty!
13. Remove the burgers from the heat, and the buns from the oven, and build your burgers
14. How I build Mine: Bottom bun, layer of mayo, slice of tomato, turkey burger, spoonful pickled purple cabbage, crispy kale, mustard, top bun.(Use a slotted spoon for the cabbage so you don’t soak your burger.)
15. Serve on a plate with tots and enjoy!
I love seeing your creations in the kitchen! Make sure to tag #ColdBeerMeatSweats after making these delicious burgers & tots 🙂
Don’t need step by step instructions?
Here is what you do:
- 1 Small Batch Pickled Purple Cabbage
- 1 plate Crispy Kale Chips
- 4 Jalapeno Turkey Burger Patties
- 4 Slices Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Jalapeno Poppy Seed Buns, Toasted
- 4 Tomato Slices
- 1 Sliced Avocado
- Mayo, Mustard, Ketchup (Optional)
- 1 Batch Broccoli Tots
Set oven to 400
1. Prepare the broccoli tots and turkey burger mixture and place both in the fridge. Cover burger mixture with clear wrap.
2.Prep the kale and place in the oven for 5 min. Remove kale from oven and flip, and then cook 5 more minutes or until desired crispiness is reached. When Done, set aside on a plate.
3. Remove tots and burger patties from the fridge, and form 4 patties with the burger mixture
4. Place tots in oven with timer set on 15 minutes
5. Add EVOO to grill pan, set on med/med-high heat, and when hot, add the burgers
6. Prep all burger toppings and set aside
7. Flip the burgers, press gently on the tops of each burger, only once, with a spatula, and then cover with a lid for a few minutes
8. When timer goes off, remove tots from oven and flip each one, place back in oven for 10-15 more minutes
9. Remove lid from the burgers, flip one more time, and add the cheddar cheese slices to each burger, tiny splash of water into the pan, cover with lid to melt the cheese
10. When tots are done, remove from oven, wrap in foil to keep warm (can use foil already on baking pan)
11. Place buns in the oven, and toast until desired crispiness is reached
12. Build your burgers
How I build Mine: Bottom bun, layer of mayo, slice of tomato, turkey burger, spoonful pickled purple cabbage, crispy kale, mustard, top bun!
-Use a slotted spoon for the cabbage so you don’t soak your burger-
Remember: I love seeing your creations in the kitchen! Make sure to tag #ColdBeerMeatSweats after making these delicious Cheddar Jalapeno Turkey Burgers & Broccoli Tots 🙂